Regulatory Affairs Directorate
Market Surveillance Directorate
Welcome to Market Surveillance
As of 1st February 2008, the Market Surveillance Directorate within the Malta Standards Authority has taken over the operations previously falling under the remit of the Consumer and Competition Division and the Market Surveillance Directorate within the Economic Policy Division.
What is Market Surveillance?
Market Surveillance is concerned with the safety of products used by people during the course of their life and can be divided into the following areas:
- children (e.g. safety of toys, playground equipment and other items used by children)
- domestic and occupational (e.g. fire safety of electrical appliances, safety of DIY tools and communication equipment and safe use of domestic chemicals, safety of lifts)
- recreation (e.g. safety of engines used on recreational craft, media equipment and equipment used in amusement parks)
- personal care (e.g. safety of cosmetics and tattoo dyes)
- industry (e.g. safety of machinery, pesticides and fireworks)
At the moment the Directorate is undergoing a capacity building exercise to enable it to provide a reliable service. More on the Directorate will be given shortly.
Market Surveillance Complaints Form